Middle East Arthritis Foundation to host webinar series to create awareness about arthritis
Leading experts from UAE and overseas to address the critical issues in arthritis research, treatment and care with practical tips on how to care for an arthritis patient amidst COVID-19
16 September 2020, Dubai, UAE – The Middle East Arthritis Foundation (MEAF) will host its first virtual conference from October 09th to October 15th, 2020, to mark World Arthritis Day, which is annually falls on 12th October. Being a virtual event this year, it will give an opportunity to unite people not only across the UAE but across the whole Middle East region.
With the coronavirus outbreak to bring a host of new challenges, the webinar series will take a deep dive and cover important topics by leading Rheumatologists and other experts to help arthritis patients manage arthritis, keep up with medical care, reduce infection risk, look after their diet and wellness, support emotional health, or care for a child with arthritis.
The comprehensive, seven-day program will bring together a host of leading experts from across the region to discuss best-practice strategies and initiatives for improving quality person-centred care amidst the pandemic and across multiple settings, and will also detail the latest research, therapies and treatments, innovation, and technologies from around the world.
According to the latest estimates by the Arthritis Foundation, 92.1 million adults have been diagnosed with arthritis or have reported some arthritis symptoms in 2019. Moreover, a recent report published by nature reviews rheumatology states that the pandemic could potentially lead to an increase in the number of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) cases, increasing the burden of the disease globally.
Dr. Humeira Badsha, Founding Member of the Middle East Arthritis Foundation stated, “Patients with arthritis often have a weak immune system and are at a higher risk at exacerbating coronavirus symptoms. The series of webinars this year will aim to addresses different ways to improve health and quality of life for people living with arthritis, reduce the cost and prevalence of the condition, and reduce the impact on individuals, their carers and the community.
“Managing a chronic disease such as inflammatory arthritis is stressful enough without having to worry about the ongoing spread of COVID-19. The sessions will have a lot of practical tips and advice from experts in healthcare to ensure that people with arthritis get the right treatment, care, and support they need to live well with their condition, especially during these difficult times”.
The event will also address the common misconceptions of arthritis and will give participants an opportunity to hear directly from doctors, industry professionals, patients, and patient advocates about what matters most to them.
The e-event is free to attend and will cover an intensive program including:
- 9th October 2020 – New advances in treatment of different types of arthritis; taking biologicals in COVID Era – How Safe am I? ; Interactive Q&A session with rheumatologists and a movement session by Movement Mantra, Dance and Movement specialists.
- 10th October 2020 – A nutrition session with a leading dietician on what to eat for a healthy gut followed by an awareness session on Ankylosing Spondylitis, a rare type of arthritis that causes pain and stiffness in your spine.
- 11th October 2020 – A live dance session for arthritis patients followed by debunking the myths and shedding light on Psoriatic Arthritis, a condition that combines the swollen, sore joints of arthritis with psoriasis.
- 12th October 2020 – A session on mind and stress management by a leading clinical psychologist followed by a symposium by Novartis.
- 13th October 2020 – Strengthening exercises for arthritis patients followed by a live panel discussion with patients and rheumatologists.
- 14th October 2020 – Juvenile Arthritis and going back to school safely during COVID
- 15th October 2020 – Tips on staying safe and protecting against COVID-19, myths about “Boosting” the immune system and exercising effectively and safely at home.
To register for attendance for any or all of the sessions, during the World Arthritis Week (WAW) 2020 please visit here https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rCmypt78TGOtURZLwfG6Qg
- ENDS –
About Middle East Arthritis Foundation:
The Middle East Arthritis foundation (formerly Emirates Arthritis Foundation) is a non-profit organisation that strives to breathe life into leading ideas on health, hope and happiness. Its goal is to improve the quality of life for people with arthritis through leadership training, in the prevention, control and cure of the disease. Founded in 2006, the Foundation has grown to support more than 2000 patients today across the UAE. MEAF conduct an extensive range of events and programmes to support arthritis patients. More information about the Foundation and its upcoming events is available at: http://www.arthritis.ae.