Ten tips to prevent complications from diabetes by Dr. Magdy Allam
Dubai, 20 January 2021: Over time, the risk of developing complications from diabetes increases gradually, especially when blood sugar is not controlled.
Such complications include; atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular stroke, eye problems, kidneys` problems or even failure, nerve affection like loss of sensation, and diabetic foot problems. Dr. Magdy Mohamed Allam, Specialist Endocrinology at Zulekha Hospital Dubai, offers 10 tips to avoid complications from diabetes:
- Follow your doctor’s instructions to control the blood sugar level while adhering to the prescribed medications.
- Adhere to a healthy diet, avoid fast food, and reduce sugary food and food rich in saturated fat.
- Maintain an ideal body weight.
- Quit smoking of all kinds.
- Working to regulate blood pressure and control levels of blood fats, especially cholesterol.
- Exercise regularly.
- Pay attention to the cleanliness and dryness of your feet and daily check them for any wounds or ulcers.
- Visit the doctor for clinical and laboratory check-up for diabetes 3-4 times yearly. This helps in early detection of any diabetes-related problem – including signs of kidney failure, nerve damage and heart disease.
- Regularly check your eyes and teeth at your ophthalmologist and dentist.
- Keep your vaccines up to date because diabetes weakens the patient’s immune system.
Diabetes care is within your control. If you’re willing to do your part and changing your life style, diabetes won’t stand in the way of your happiness.
Artcile by Dr. Magdy Mohamed Allam MBBCH, MD / Ph.D. in Endocrinology & Diabetes Specialist Endocrinology at Zulekha Hospital Dubai.
About Zulekha Healthcare Group www.zulekhahospitals.com
Zulekha Healthcare Group is a Superbrand and among the forerunners in UAE healthcare. Today the Zulekha Healthcare Group includes two multidisciplinary hospitals in Dubai and Sharjah, as well as four UAE medical centres and three pharmacies providing specialised treatments in over 30 disciplines. The group also has a multidisciplinary hospital in India – Alexis. Zulekha Hospital has received extensive recognition for its commitment towards quality care and sustainable business practices, and recently received the prestigious Dubai Quality Award for the second time in four years, underling a commitment to providing high quality healthcare to patients and society.